Eddie Alvarez Injured; Donald Cerrone steps in to Face Benson Henderson
UFC lightweight Eddie Alvarez has suffered a severe flu that’s prevented him from training, and is forced out of his co-main event fight against Benson Henderson at UFC Fight Night 59.
But have no fear, fight fans. Donald Cerrone, who is fresh off his UFC 182 win over Myles Jury this past weekend, is stepping into to face his former foe.
Donald Cerrone and Benson Henderson have fought each other twice in their pro MMA careers. Benson Henderson defeated Cerrone at WEC 43 by unanimous decision. The two men met against at WEC 58, and Henderson pulled off the victory again, that time by guillotine choke submission.
Donald Cerrone is now riding a six-fight winning streak in the UFC’s Octagon. During that stretch, he’s defeated Myles Jury, Eddie Alvarez, Jim Miller, Edson Barboza, Adriano Martins and Evan Dunham.
Former UFC lightweight champion, Benson Henderson is 3-2 in his past five-fights in the UFC’s Octagon. He lost his last fight to Rafael dos Anjos by TKO, although some people felt it might have been an early stoppage by the referee. Henderson lost his UFC lightweight title to Anthony Pettis at UFC 164.
UFC Fight Night 59 takes place on January 18th, 2015 at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.
UFC Fight Night 59 Fight Card
- Conor McGregor vs Dennis Siver
- Donald Cerrone vs Benson Henderson
- Uriah Hall vs Louis Taylor
- Norman Parke vs Gleison Tibau
- Cathal Pendred vs Sean Spencer
- John Howard vs Lorenz Larkin
- Zhang Lipeng vs Chris Wade
- Patrick Holohan vs Shane Howell
- Johnny Case vs Frankie Perez
- Charles Rosa vs Sean Soriano
- Sean O’Connell vs Matt Van Buren
- Tateki Matsuda vs Joby Sanchez