Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson Headlines UFC Fight Night 57
For the first time since 2010, the Octagon makes its way back to the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, as former UFC lightweight champ and current No. 3 featherweight contender Frankie “The Answer” Edgar takes on second-ranked Cub Swanson in a five-round main event that could propel the winner into a title shot.
Edgar returns to action riding a two-fight win streak over B.J. Penn and Charles Oliveira, hoping to earn his spot as the next title contender. The former lightweight champ has been a force since dropping to 145 pounds and is looking for his chance to become only the third fighter in UFC history to claim gold in two different weight classes. Swanson , a native of Palm Springs, Calif. who also splits time training at Jackson/Winkeljohn MMA, has been on a six-fight undefeated tear since January 2012 that includes wins over Ross Pearson, Dustin Poirier and, most recently, Jeremy Stephens. The heavy-handed knockout artist has plans for a potential title shot in 2015.
Also scheduled for the card:
- Top-ranked lightweights collide in the co-main event as the always-exciting No. 7 contender Bobby Green meets twelfth-ranked Brazilian striker Edson Barboza.
- Fan-favorite and eleventh-ranked Brad “One Punch” Pickett returns to action against the hard-hitting Chico Camus in a flyweight bout.
- Heavyweights collide as former Oklahoma State University wrestling standout Jared Rosholt looks to remain unbeaten in the UFC as he takes on Sambo specialist Oleksiy Oliynyk.
- San Antonio native and former flyweight title contender Joseph Benavidez puts his second-place ranking on the line against thirteenth-ranked Dustin Ortiz in a pivotal bout in the division.
- The Ultimate Fighter season 5 veteran Matt Wiman returns following an extended layoff against Greg Jackson-product Isaac Vallie-Flagg at lightweight.
- Russian heavyweight Ruslan Magomedov takes on the debuting Josh Copeland.
- Britain’s The Ultimate Fighter season 17 cast member Luke Barnatt squares off against Texan Roger Narvaez at middleweight.
- Undefeated James “The Texecutioner” Vick meets German Nick Hein at lightweight.
- Austin’s own Yves Edwards makes his 66th professional MMA appearance against Mexican-bornAkbarh Arreola in a lightweight contest.
- Women’s strawweight Paige VanZant competes against unbeaten Kailin Curran.
- Mexican grappler Juan Puig faces South Korean prospect Dooho Choi in a battle of featherweights.
Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT™: EDGAR vs. SWANSON go on sale Friday, October 17 at 10 a.m. CT and are priced at $150, $100, $75, $50 and $40. Tickets may be purchased online at www.TexasBoxOffice.com, calling the Texas Box Office at 1-800-982-BEVO or visiting select Austin-area H-E-B Grocery Stores. Ticket prices do not include applicable service charges.
UFC Fight Club members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Wednesday, October 15 at 10 a.m. CT via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, October 16 starting at 10 am. CT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT: EDGAR vs. SWAWNSON will air live on FOX Sports 1 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on Saturday, November 22nd, with the prelims kicking off the evening on FOX Sports 1 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and on UFC FIGHT PASS at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT.